Monday, December 7, 2015


To be honest, these articles were okay to me. I feel like I did learn but only certain parts really caught my attention. For example, in Cynthia L. Selfe article “The Movement of Air, the Breath of Meaning: Aurality and Multimodal Composing” I really liked the section “A Short History of Aurality in College Composition Classrooms” (619). Two things I really found interesting to read in this section was the discussion of “women during this period” and “black citizens” (Selfe 623). I’m a woman and black, and I have always been interested in works, movies, or anything that talks about our struggle. Talking about several groups of people was an effective technique to get readers attracted or interested in her article.

Continuing, I also liked how Selfe’s article mentioned a technique discussed in another article read for this class, and a technique that I recall a teacher in our class saying she used herself in her classroom during one of our discussions. One of the techniques I am referring to is “audio taping in the composition classroom as a way of recording the texts of small-group interactions and responding to these texts with her own suggestions, observations, and remarks” (Selfe 633). Moreover, my overall impression of this article is a lot of people would be open and even embrace Selfe’s argument now. I actually think as a society we have overcome a lot of the close minded opinions mentioned in the article. I feel like she would be proud of where we are now. Lastly, my mother has always told me, “You need to take computer classes. Everything deals with computers now.” As I take more and more classes, I’m starting to realize my mother is right. I also think more people are embracing a statement by Elizabeth Daley in Kathleen Blake Yancey’s article “Made Not Only in Words: Composition in a New Key” which is “The ability to negotiate through life by combining words with pictures with audio and video to express thoughts will be the mark of the educated student’ ” (305). In my opinion sooner or later that will change, and the real challenge will always be remaining open minded and keeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment